A positive load up on essential and vitamins minerals with lots of other health benefits, scent leaf stew is a very nutrition based soup that can be eaten with any accompaniment you desire.
For those who have a problem with indigestion or constipation, this soup is a winner. Can be served on rice, cold pap or any carbohydrate accompaniment to make a complete meal.
The method of preparation for this soup with grandma’s old fashioned recipe is relatively very easy but the outcome is always deliciously appetizing as you will see soon.
The ingredients we need for our scent leafter soup are:
- Scent leafs. Washed to avoid sand and grits then finely shredded.
- Water leafs. This has to be twice the quantity of the scent leaf you have so as to soften the soup better.
- Stock fish which of course we have to first cook to tenderize.
- Some smocked or dried fish.
- Picked periwinkle, that is the ones that have been removed from their shells. Washed thoroughly with dalt water.
- Meat. Beef, game, goat, mutton, even poultry will do. But I will be using offals here.
- Fresh scotch bonnet peppers grind to paste.
- Fresh palm oil.
- Seasonings and salt to taste.
After bringing all the irems we need for our scent leaf soup, we proceed to the kitchen for preparing the soup.
- First cook the stock fish till tender.
- Then add the meat (offals) and fish to the pot to cook for a few minutes more.
- Next is the picked and washed periwinkle. Snails cam also be added or used instead.
- Not time to add the pepper paste. At this point, the broth will not very much.
- The finely shredded vegetables, scent leaf and water leaf, will now be added. Once I add leafy vegetables to my soup I love to leave the ppt open so as to help the leafs maintain the greeny color because when the pot is covered over the leafs, they tend to go dark and loss the green color.
- The iru as well as the salt and seasonings then goes in.
- And lastly the fresh palm oil. I like adding palm oil last to vegetable soups so as to preserve it’s taste and enhance that of the soup generally.
- Stir the pot at intervals until the vegetable is cooked and the soup is ready to be served.
You can see that the proccess is very easy and simple to follow and yet the outcome is enticing and delicious yet very rich and healthy.
So why not give this ‘health insurance’ a try and come back to share with us your experience.
If you have any contributions or questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us by the comet section below and don’t forget to follow this blog to be first to verify notified of subsequent post.
We also like that you like this post and also share to friends and contacts.